Aseptic meningitis is inflammation of the Meninges (brain lining)
Symptoms of Aseptic Meningitis:
Discomfort, Uneasiness, Malaise
Nausea and Vomiting
Sensitivity to light
Central Nervous System
Enteroviruses are responsible for 85% of viral meningitis cases each year in the U.S. Aseptic meningitis is usually a benign, self-limiting illness that is not severe, however, young infants with an immature immune system, have the highest mortality rates from EV infections.
More than 90% of all aseptic meningitis cases are assumed to be viral, and the other 10% are bacterial. The first line of defense against meningitis however, is antibiotic therapy because there is no treatment for Enterovirus infections.
Enterovirus 71 is a strain which spreads to the brain and spinal cord. EV-71 was first isolated in California in 1969. Since then, it has caused epidemics in Eastern Europe (1975 and 1978) and in Southeast Asia (between 1997 and 2000).
Since EV-71 replicates in the brain, neurological symptoms and ailments are common: headaches, mood swings, depression, anxiety, and bi-polar disease.
Long term prognosis of children infected with enteroviruses may have possible behavior and neurological abnormalities, especially infection with EV-71.
Children who have had EV infections in the past, show a higher incidence of learning and developmental difficulties later.
Developmental disabilities such as Autism or ADD may be a reflection of EV infected mothers passing it on to their newborns. Many children with these disorders suffer from persistent GI symptoms.